Dental home concept is an attempt to raise a generation of youth without dental fear and dental anxiety. To give a child a lifetime of zero cavities.
Let’s understand how!
The word home signifies a safe haven for children. An environment wherein a child is at ease and most comfortable to take on various challenges.
Imagine the things a child learns at home like walking, running, jumping etc. which all have come with at least one cut/ bump or a visit to the doctor.
But in spite of this, the child never associates pain/fear with home.
It’s because the early / initial association of a child with home and the caregivers / parents has been of love, warmth and safety all leading to a positive mind-set.
The dental home derives its fundamentals from the very same psychology. Start early and start right with your child’s oral health will only ensure a subconscious positivity towards it.
To establish a dental home- a parent needs to identify a Pediatric Dentist and their practice they feel most comfortable with and schedule a first visit by 6 months of age and no later than the child’s first birthday.
Owing to the current pandemic, a virtual consultation will also suffice as at this point the main objective of the first dental visit is:
- Educate the parents about the right feeding patterns to avoid cavities
- Assess the child for any oral abnormalities like tongue tie, weakened teeth and many more
- Familiarise the child with the Pediatric Dentist to ensure sub conscious positivity
- Set the foundation for correct oral hygiene measures based on the child’s needs
Bang! A dental home has been established.
The Pediatric Dentist will identify if the child is at risk of developing any oral problems and develop a customised preventive plan to prevent them or atleast minimise them.
These preventive measures are non-invasive, non-elaborate, non-painful, non-expensive but highly effective.
Just the way a mother/ caregiver understands the child’s patterns, needs better than anyone, a dental home Pediatric Dentist has a complete overview and understanding of the child’s dental and psychological needs.
The main objective of Dental home is to:
- prevent or minimise most of the oral diseases
- raise a child with positivity towards dental visits and treatments if needed
- eliminate or minimise the phobia of needles and the dental drill
- ensure that oral diseases don’t affect the child’s confidence and overall well-being negatively
I have always maintained that oral wellness goes beyond just teeth. And your child’s Dental home Pediatric dentist will ensure that the child attains maximal dental and hence overall wellbeing.